04 August 2011

Peach iced tea

I have been making my own iced tea this summer. Prototypical recipe:

3 quarts water
6 tea bags
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
2 cans (11.5oz ea) peach nectar (e.g. Kern's brand)
Juice from 1 lemon

Brew the tea. Mix with remaining ingredients. Chill.

This recipe makes about 3.5L of tea and is much less sweet than the typical bottled stuff. I poked around to compute the sugar concentration for some representative iced teas:

Sugar concentration*
Peach iced tea (above)54g/L
Trader Joe's Pomegranate Green Tea63g/L
McDonald's Sweet Tea73g/L
Snapple Peach Iced Tea97g/L

By the way, iced tea as Americans know it (the unsweetened tea that is ubiquitous in restaurants) is, as far as I can tell, nowhere to be found in Europe. Quelle horreur!

* As I understand it, different sugars have different taste and nutritional properties, so these numbers don't tell the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment