25 July 2009

Garlic hummus

I've made hummus from scratch a couple of times now, and I love it. (I love chickpeas!) In comparison, store-bought hummus is thin, tastes bland, and kind of has a chemical/artificial flavor. Making your own hummus is really easy. Here's my recipe.

There's a lot of room for variation, and people have different preferences for the various dimensions of hummus: consistency, creaminess, spiciness, tartness, etc. Here are some approximate amounts to get you started. Start with the following; I recommend some experimentation. (This recipe is capable of making a thick hummus, suitable for pita chips as well as sandwiches.)

Instructions: In a food processor, blend the following ingredients:

  • 2 cans chickpeas. I boil these, remove as many of the husks as I care to, and drain them. This softens them and takes some of the salt away.
  • 4 cloves garlic. Toasting these in a pan, dry, for a few minutes takes some of the bite off.
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • salt
  • pepper (black and/or cayenne)
  • paprika (I love hot paprika)
  • a little (on the order of a few tbsp) water

This will not get you all the way there, but you should be able to obtain your ideal hummus by using this as your starting point and performing gradient descent with the last 7 ingredients. (Translation: season to taste.) Be careful not to use too much sesame oil, it can quickly overwhelm the rest of the flavors.

Empty into a bowl and let it sit in the fridge for two hours to let the flavors mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment