12 September 2008

The best dinner I ever accidentally made

My intuition for how to cook chicken is gradually becoming more and more developed. But there are still surprises (in this case, a good one), like this astonishingly tasty dish we made last week.

Last week I received some Arnabal sweet smoked chili oil which I got off a wine.woot sale. I prepared the recipe below using chili oil instead of EVOO. This chili oil, which is not like the typical Chinese chili oil, gives a delicious smoky (but not overpoweringly spicy) flavor. Somewhat surprisingly, this actually goes great with the curry.

We ate it with broken rice, which I bought a bag of because it was the only thing left at the store. It has this fantastic nutty flavor and a different texture from normal rice. It is almost habit-forming. Whenever I prepare anything with rice now, the rice always tries to steal the show.

Takeaway messages from this blog post: go buy a case of chili oil and a bag of broken rice.

Curry chicken

Ingredients: chicken breasts, flour, curry powder, salt, pepper

Slice the chicken breasts to get thinner pieces (I usually slice each into two or three pieces). This is critical for even cooking.

Mix flour, salt, pepper, and curry powder to taste in a bowl. Coat the chicken with the flour mixture.

Fry the chicken in EVOO until it's golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment